Somewhere along a back road.
Tom Poland is the author of fourteen books and more than 2,000 magazine features and columns.
Tom writes about the South, its people, culture, land, natural wealth, and beautiful detritus—ruins and abandoned places. He travels back roads looking for forgotten places, captivating people, and vestiges of bygone times. Much of that work finds its way into books, columns, essays, and features.
Writing that evokes a sense of place and fluid, lean prose appeal to him. Favorite writers are James Salter, Cormac McCarthy, Pat Conroy, and James Dickey.
Once upon a time playing football meant the world to him. Come an autumn day in Athens, Georgia, you’ll find him in Sanford Stadium watching the Dawgs play.
Bronze Winner — PBS Television
- By The River – Tom Poland & Robert Clark
- By The River Episode has won a Bronze Telly Award in the Television – Nature/Wildlife category
- University of South Carolina Beaufort/SCETV
- Producer/ Associate Professor
- Caroline Sawyer, South Carolina ETV/ UofSC Beaufort
- Executive Producer
- Donald Godish, South Carolina ETV
- Holly Jackson, South Carolina ETV